MPs by Year Group   Constitution   MP Duties   About Us   Photo Gallery
 
Full MP Details
 

Basoah, Philip

Constituency: Kumawu
Region: Ashanti Region
Party: NPP
Occupation/Profession: Educationist
Parliamentary Seat: minority

Date of Birth: November 18, 1969
Hometown: Kumawu, Ashanti Region
Highest Education: IEMBA (Paris Graduate School of Management), 2012; Bed (Arts), UCC, 2000.
Profession: Teaching
Last Employment: GES (Agogo Senior High School, Agogo); DCE (Sekyere East) June 2005-January 2009; Assistant Director II – Planning – (Project Co-ordinator), Ashanti Regional Officer of the GES
Marital Status: Married (two children)
Religion: Christianity (Liberation Christian Centre, Kumasi)
Votes Obtained: 18,858 votes out of the 27,477 valid votes cast = 68.63%. Other: Samuel Asiamah (NDC) 4, 142 = 15.075, Dominic Oteng (IND) 3,991 = 14.525, Collins Kumi Boateng (PPP) 301 = 1.10%, Yaw Opoku Mensah (NDP) 93=0.34%, Isaac Asante (ONC) 53=0.195 and John Agyeman Badu (DPP) 39=0.14%

 

 

 

 CULTURAL HERITAGE AND CUSTOMS

 
Culture of the People
Culture practices of a particular group of people distinguish them from other people. Culture pratices could be seen in terms of the way they dress, the food they eat, languages spoken, music and dance, art and craft, religious belief, occupation, administration and norms. 
 
Traditional Set Up
There is only one Paramountcy in the constituency that is Kumawu Traditional Council headed by Kumawuhene (Omanhehe). He is wielded with powers bordering on customs, taboos and morality. Under the Omanhene are divisional chiefs. These divisional chiefs assist the Omanhene in the performance of his duties. These sub chiefs are Kontihene (chief’s deputy), Akwamuhene, Adontehene, Nifahene, Benkumhene, Kyidomhene, Gyaasene and Sanaahene. In some cases Nsuma Kwahene and Mkosuohene also exist in the traditional set up.
 
Language and Dressing
About 90 percent of the people in the constituency speak Twi. The other 10 percent of the people are mostly migrants who speak other languages besides the Asante Twi. Besides the language that distinguishes the indigenes from the migrants, the people can be identified by their dressing. For example during festive occasions, the rich Kente cloth is used extensively by the people.
 
Food, Music, Dance and Games.
The most cherished dish among the people is Fufu. Local music such Adowa, Kete, Nnwomkoro are associated with the people. At important occasions such as festivals and funerals, the people dance to the Adowa, Kete Nnwomkoro. Oware and Dance are games mostly for men in the constituency while Ampe and Antoakyire are for girls and boys respectively.
 
Religion, Chieftaincy and Inheritance
Almost all the people in the constituency believe the supremacy of God.  The Christians called him “God” the Muslims “Allah” and the traditionalist called him “Onyankopon”.
 
Chieftaincy as an institution also features prominently in the socio-economic development of the people. The chief sits on stools, so they are either enstooled or destooled. The system of inheritance is matrilineal among the indigenous people except a few migrant farmers and other settlements who observe patrilineal inheritance.
 

News Headlines


Currently no Photos available

© Copyright 2010 . All rights reserved. | Privacy & Disclaimer