December 10, 2013

The Member of Parliament for Trobu, Hon. Moses Anim has called on government to direct its attention to agriculture by channeling more resources into the sector to enhance food security within the country.

According to him a country that is not efficient in food provision cannot move forward since it would depend on other countries for survival.

Hon. Moses Anim who made the call in an interview with after the farmers day celebration in the Ga West Municipality, revealed that as at now cereal production in Ghana stands at 51% which means that the rest of the 49% of the countries cereal requirement would have to be imported.

“This implies that we are under producing and so we have to take a good look at the agriculture sector,” he implored.

The Trobu MP suggested that government could invest the oil money into initiatives that would improve the level of agriculture in the country.

“So if u have overflow of oil money and you put GH¢32 million into capacity building and just Gh¢4.6 million into agric mechanization then you are not really dealing with your priorities well because the agric sector is employing about 50 plus of our people in the urban and rural areas,” he added.

He however advised government also see to it that inputs and capital needed by farmers be released on time.

Godwin Allotey Akweiteh/